Monday, January 25, 2010

Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill

Last night I read Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill. I laughed, I cried, I wondered at the little girls who have read this in the last 60 years and hoped they got the message from it that I did. This was a freaking children’s book, with a very powerful message of inclusion and acceptance and what it really means to be an American. I know, right? Silly.

In it, Betsy and her friends are now 10, and trying to be All Grown Up. Along the way they discover that whatever age they are, they’ll always have fun. Cheesy.

But just oh so cute. It is amazing that I book I’m reading in 2010 as a 27-year-old woman, that was written in the 1940’s about 10-year-old girls in the early 1900’s, could remind me so much of what my childhood was and what I always wanted it to be.

Up next for Betsy and Tacy and me: Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown! Thrilling, no doubt.  :)


No comments: