Friday, January 1, 2010

What to read?

I have a dozen books on the to-read pile right now, and there are a few I'm reading that I need to finish. But I'm going to start this blog with a book I just started reading today. Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace.

I had never read or heard of this book until Wednesday or so when our Christmas presents arrived from my father-in-law. My presents were two volumes with two books each, one containing Heaven to Betsy and Betsy in Spite of Herself, and one containing Betsy and the Great World and Betsy's Wedding. The cover art for these books was great, and one had a foreword by Anna Quindlen, so I was instantly drawn in. I read both forewords and realized that these were books 5, 6, 9, and 10 of a very old, adorable series of 10 books. They start as independent reader aged books and the writing grows up with Betsy, so that you can continue with the series as you "get older". Being 27 now, I'm obviously not going to age much as I read these. But also being someone who loves kids/young adult books, I'm fine with that.

I found the first 4 books in the series at my library, so I've checked them out and started the first. Betsy is just about five years old, the print is huge, and the illustrations are so young and cute. It will be interesting to read 20 years of one character's life throughput the series and see how she grows. From what I've read of the series and the author, Betsy was a feminist way before her time, and she's inspired women all over to write and to be who they want to be.

No comments: